Monday, April 13, 2009

We Have A Winner!


So…today there was an appreciation luncheon for employees who have donated money to the LCCC Foundation. I was recruited to prepare a dessert for the event, where folks could vote for their favorite, and the winner would get a prize. Basically…I’m pretty competitive…so I really wanted to win! I found a recipe that sounded really good, and gave it a trial run on Saturday night. It turned out to be delicious, but I messed up a couple parts of it, so I knew it COULD be even better. So, when I made it the second time, on Sunday, I was able to make some adjustments and really perfect it. I actually changed a couple things totally…but…long story short…GUESS WHO WON THE CONTEST?!? Yeah…it was me. There was a point where I thought that a super creamy peanut butter pie was going to beat me out…but I prevailed in the end. Woohoo! As soon as I found out, I went down to the break room to take a picture of the champion…but it was all gone.

In case you want the recipe…here it is. It’s pretty easy, and super good!

Peaches & Cream Dessert

1 8 ounce package of Pillsbury crescent rolls (they now make the dough to come in a full sheet, too, which is perfect for this)
1 8 ounce package of cream cheese, softened
1 can peach pie filling
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup dry oatmeal
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup sliced almonds
5 tablespoons butter, softened
Cinnamon (if desired)

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.

• Press crescent roll dough into the bottom of an ungreased 9x13 inch pan. Make sure all seams are sealed. Bake in preheated oven for 5 to 7 minutes, until no longer tacky, but not browned. Take out of oven and set aside.
• Combine softened cream cheese, granulated sugar, and almond extract in bowl. Mix together until smooth and spreadable.
• In another bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, oatmeal, sliced almonds, and softened butter. Add a shake or two of cinnamon, if desired. Mix ingredients together until crumbly.
• Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over entire crust.
• Pour pie filling over top of cream cheese mixture, spread evenly. (I chopped up the peaches in the can a little bit, so that it spread more evenly, and every piece got some peaches.)
• Sprinkle brown sugar/flour mixture on top of pie filling, covering evenly.
• Return dessert to oven and bake for an additional 25 minutes.
• Let dessert cool. Enjoy as is, or with whipped cream.

1 comments:

Dimitri and Zachary said...

Good for you! So what did you win?