Thursday, May 15, 2008

Can You Feel The Love?


Do you ever listen to those late night dedication shows on the light rock radio station? Our's is called Kosi After Dark with Delilah. Not that that matters...but you know. I like to share. Anyway...am I the only one who thinks that the DJ's on those shows have a great knack for choosing the WORST songs ever for the dedications? Like...something totally the opposite of what the person might have wanted to hear? Like, sometimes I think they get their kicks out of finding something that is totally inappropriate.

"Oh...your son just got put in jail for arson...how sad...here's "We Didn't Start the Fire" by Billy Joel."

Okay...so maybe it's not THAT bad...but sometimes I really wonder if being locked up in a DJ booth all night does something to these peoples' brains. Tonight I was driving home and had the radio on, and when the song ended, I found myself listening to a caller get through to Delilah...something that she said she'd be trying to do for months. She said that her husband had passed away...(he had heart failure)...about a year ago...five weeks after they were married. Shortly after he had died, she had found out that she was pregnant. So...now she was sitting in her car, with her baby son asleep in the back seat, and she wanted to play a song for her husband, to let him know that she still loved him or and that she knew he was watching over her and their baby son.

That's a pretty heart wrenching story, huh? So Delilah said how sorry she was for the girl's loss, and then asked if she had a song in mind, or if she wanted Delilah to choose one. I was thinking...PICK ONE YOURSELF...PLEASE!!! But no...she asked Delilah to do it. So...what did Delilah choose? "The Circle of Life" by Elton John. Wow.

Now, some of you might pretend to think that it was an appropriate choice, because it symbolizes that the father had died, but that the son was born and that IS the great circle of life, after all...or something like that. But you know for a FACT that as soon as you hear that song, every single one of you think of the freaking Lion King. And somehow I doubt that as that young widow was still grieving the loss of her sweetheart, that she really had Simba on the brain. I mean...seriously...think about it!

I really hope that if I ever get married, that I never have to watch my husband die. I don't want him to have to watch me die, either...because it will just be too hard on him, I'm sure. We should probably die together...while asleep in our bed...without any pain or suffering. If, however, I DO have to deal with the loss of my husband, and I lose my mind one night and try to find comfort by calling the local radio station, it's really going to tick me off if the DJ hears my woeful tale of my husband falling from our fishing boat and drowning, and then plays "Under The Sea."

1 comments:

MetroParks said...

Janine,
I love you. You never fail to make me almost wet my pants with your writing. I miss you guys! Being able to hang out, talk, laugh, dance to the Bed of Roses CD. Those were the days! (Isn't it amazing what lack of bladder control can bring to memory?)