Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Work Is Crazy...In More Ways Than One...

So...it's the beginning of Fall semester in Laramie, and things are crazier than they've ever been. Our enrollment here on Campus is up almost 30% from this time last year...and I am totally feeling the overpopulation. Folks are just coming out of the woodwork. I really don't even know what that means...but if it means that my office hasn't seen a moment's worth of peace for about 3 weeks solid...then yeah...it applies. Anyway...I think that if people spend too much time in the woodwork...and then come out of it...to talk to me...the woodwork has done something to their brains.

For those of you who have never been to Laramie...it's not THAT big of a town. I mean, we have what we need, it's not some hillbilly back-woods hole in the ground, but...you know, you could get from one side of town to the other in 10 minutes or so. Not so huge. LCCC is located just off of Grand Avenue...which, if you live in Laramie, you know where Grand Avenue is...if nothing else. AND...we're right by Wal-Mart...and if you're alive, I'm pretty sure you know where Wal-Mart is. I'm horrible with directions, and I can usually find my way around. It's not that tough of a deal. Anyway...I just got off the phone with a new student, who has her first class at LCCC tonight. She asked me, number one, which level of the building her class was on. (We only have a one level building) Then, she also needed the physical address of the campus, so she could mapquest her way here. Um...seriously? I can't even imagine what city she thinks she lives in...because the directions to the campus are "Head east on Grand. Turn on the road before Walmart. Ta-da...there we are." It'd kind of be like mapquesting your way from the Deli to the Produce Section at the grocery store. In the time it took you to type in the coordinates, you could have already found your destination...just by wandering in the right direction. (UPDATE: As I was typing this blog, the lady called me back to say that our address doesn't exist on mapquest. I LOVE IT! So, I gave her the two part instructions. I hope she can figure them out.)

In addition...Mitch, who works over in Advising, just told me that when he went into the bathroom, he found an old man, "with huge buck teeth" (it really does create a better visual if I throw that in there) doing chin-ups on the beam that connects the two stalls. When Mitch asked him to stop doing said chin-ups, as our bathroom stall beams are not built to support excessive chin-up usage. He was apparently surprised, and expressed what an unusual request it was...to ask him to stop. Yeah...what were we thinking? Then, after being obnoxious for a while, he demanded that Mitch tell him where he could find a chin-up bar outside of the building. I'm not sure where Mitch told him to go...but he might try using mapquest to find his way.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

I'm still laughing about the old guy!! You didn't tell me buck teeth..good crap!! Thats necessary in story telling!

Sharon said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!